November 20, 2008

Manna and Grace

Life goes on. Baby Liam is doing better and is gaining weight (up to 8 lbs 3 oz), has finally passed his "due date" and is learning to nurse, though not great at it yet. My wonderful hubby went back to work today. Yikes! Which means, I am trying to figure out how to do all that we have been doing together, on my own. Like the middle of the night feedings: try to nurse him, give him a supplemental bottle and then pump. And, yesterday I woke up with a plugged milk duct. (yes I know what to do about these, have been doing it all, and started some lecithin last night, which seems to be helping the most) I tend to get more plugged ducts when I am doing "too much". This is hard on a mom with 13 kids, because there is so much to do... or could be getting done.

Advice to myself today:

1. Manna and grace- there is enough for today, stop looking at tomorrow, the more I look at tomorrow and get uptight, discouraged and overwhelmed by all the tomorrows, the more of what I have today turns wormy, just like the manna did when the Israelites tried to keep some manna for the next day. Yuck. God gives us enough manna/grace for what we need TODAY.

2. To-do list - I love lists. List help me feel like I have my thoughts organized and I can keep "score" of all I have accomplished. I was feeling discouraged about the lack of being able to even write a to-do list, let alone get "anything" done. God spoke to me this morning about re-thinking this. So, I am going to focus on what I have done today, instead of what I have not done. I got a shower today! Woo hoo! I am keeping the baby fed! Go team! I have a plan for dinner and got the chicken out to defrost. Yippee! Yes, there are so many things I want to also get done, but just can't. Doesn't mean I ( or anyone else out there going through a rough time) am not accomplishing anything. Because I am, and so are you. Just maybe not up to our expectations. Remember #1.

3. Drink more water and rest - These have to go on what I am accomplishing today, cause a sick momma not only feels crummy and in pain (plugged milk duct) but she really can't get even the basics done if she is sick in bed. My hubby keeps reminding me that my main job right now is to make milk for Liam and feed him... which requires drinking lots of water and resting. I can WISH it were easier, but that won't make it so.

Hang in there with me ladies!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This post is exactly what I needed to read as I am dealing with the same thing wondering what I will do when Victory comes home and hubby goes back to work, and just trying to handle going back and forth to the NICU has been so hard I wonder how I will do 2 more weeks of it...but, I only need to focus on today and know that this day God has given me the manna and grace to get through it. :) This post was greatly encouraging to me, thank you.

Kristen Bradley

Anonymous said...

Great to-do list Jer. We ALL need to remember these points.

And don't worry... we're totally hanging with you. =0)

Mrs. Darling said...

You poor thing. I had a terrible time nursing my last one but ended up nursing him for almost 3 years. I dont have to tell you how difficult those first weeks or months are Im sure. Take good care of yourself.
((Hugs)))

The Lockwood Family ♥ said...

Hi...My name is Jaynee. My hubby and I and our 11 little ones are missionaries in Mexico. I am 18 1/2 weeks along with our 12th precious blessing (a boy :) ), but have had bleeding (2 big ones) due to complete placenta previa so far.
I had posted about it asking for prayer on our blog and someone commented and left me your blog address as they said you had a similar situation.
So I just read through most of your pregnancy posts and was just blessed and encouraged by all you shared. Thank you!
I'm so happy Liam is doing well.
God Bless you all!
love,
Jaynee

 
design by suckmylolly.com