October 1, 2008

Hospital Bed Rest ~ Day 10

The high risk OB who did rounds today (there is a different doctor every day which is frustrating), came in and actually said I should probably stay here till the baby is born. I told him he is the FIRST of all the docs to say this (the other keep giving me a vague amount of days till I can go home). He seems very practical minded and was all "it just makes sense" for numerous reasons. I said PLEASE write this in my chart because tomorrow will be another doctor and they all seem to think something else! He agreed, both to write it up and about how the different doctors have different approaches. He said that maybe what we would do is when I reach 35 weeks (that is 12 days from now) if my blood levels are where they should be (today's hematocrit was 28 point something... up from 26 point something last week, so it is slowly improving... they want is at a min. of 30 before a c-section) they would do an amnio to check on lung maturity and if it was good they could go ahead and do the c-section at that point.

Well, I have to say that was encouraging to hubby and me. Stay here about 2 more weeks and deliver the baby who will be 35 weeks and should be able to come home with me. This OB today was so practical, which I can really relate to, about how the longer I go the more risk I have of more bleeding and I am already a high risk to lose a lot of blood during the c-section, so the risks start to outweigh keeping the baby in a few extra weeks. What an answer to prayer today and addresses both mine and David's concerns!

We continue to appreciate your prayers for an uneventful 12 days, that my hematocrit comes up and a good report on the lung maturity. Of course, things can change without notice and his lungs might not be ready, but it is so wonderful to have a plan in place! We have been in limbo for 10 days now and it was getting old. God is so good!

~jerri

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Jerri, I'm praying for you!

How reassuring to do the amnio before delivery--that's what my doctor is planning before c-section, and it is such a relief to know the NICU chances will be so much lower.

Jenni said...

Praying for you here too, wow, so you could be very close to being well on your way to recovery! I'm just slightly jealous ;) But then again I wouldn't trade just a normal painful last few weeks for bedrest and hospitalization! Bless you Jerri, I totally feel for you and for everyone's sake, will ask the Lord to be merciful to you and let that baby come soon, but healthy!

Homemanager said...

Jerri,
The Lord is so good! I'm rejoicing with you that you have been able to go as long as this. My little 'un was taken at 34 weeks. My biggest concern was for her lungs. The Lord has been very gracious. She was in the NICU for 16 days and during that time she was on a respirator for about 5 or 6 days. She hasn't had any apparent breathing problems. (I have two daughters with asthma) She was 5 lbs 7 ozs. So she was a "big" baby for the NICU.
I will be praying that the Lord would bless your Son with good strong lungs. (so you will be able to enjoy his cry at the delivery!) :-D
Blessings,
Karen

Anonymous said...

We will be praying that baby's lungs are ready as well as any other "early" issues would not be a problem at all for you. It is much easier when you know there is an end in sight, 12 days will go by! If there's anything I can bring you or do for you please let me know!

Kristen Bradley

Julie said...

Praying for you and your family.

Julie

 
design by suckmylolly.com